Friday, February 7, 2014

And the unveiling continues...

Museum lab hours ran really late yesterday. Eight students dropped in to see what objects they had drawn. After two or three trips up to the repository loft (where I diligently warned students not to crack their skulls against the I-beam but then proceeded to do it myself) and texting Carrie at State Parks to decode some of her temporary locations, we can now see the bulk of the collection. You'll have to forgive the poor lighting and resolution in these iphone pics (not to mention the color on the gallery walls), I'll bring in my DSLR one of these days (which is not to say that the photos will be great).

Reece drew quite an assortment of objects,
including a dagger (w/snake) and lyre-bird
 feathers (the V&A would be jealous).
Maria's pieces run the gamut from the Taj
Mahal broach and beaded staff  in the photo
(below) to basket trays (foreground above) and
 a beautifully-woven ivory-handled fan I've
admired for a long while.

 

Among the objects drawn by Cristian is a
lauhala mat. It is probably the most fragile
and desiccated piece in the collection.

 


Abby examines a ceramic pipe bowl.
She also drew a natural history specimen:
throat teeth from some fish species that
must be native to the South Seas/Samoa.

Mallory with a bamboo-handled spear, a
folding (souvenir) sun shade, and
two clubs (see below).

  

Can you read the lettering? I was surprised to
discover its provenience (but it makes sense
given what we know about Mrs. Beardlsey).

 

Seya inspects an artifact she'll be researching:
a tiny metal dagger and scabbard. The piece
below is also hers (beautiful in person).

 

Nathan drew four objects, one of which I am
REALLY excited about, as I think it may relate
to a publication of Mrs. Beardsley's (Carrie
and I will let him figure that out after her
Tuesday lecture).

Jim drew five objects...a very brittle tapa cloth,
a set of fans, a Satsuma jar, two spear points
(although I wonder if these are mis-attributed),
two books (most in the collection were
apparently de-accessioned), and a fun
set of tapa/bark cloth "samples."






1 comment:

  1. This is so great! I love finally seeing the objects next to each other after so many years of being dis-associated. It really brings the travels of Mr. and Mrs. Beardsley to life again.

    ReplyDelete